The Central Clinical Hospital of the Ministry of the Interior first began operations on the 8th October 1951. The first Head and organizer of medical services, which at the time were limited to outpatient services only, was Lt. Kamil Warman, MD. The only alternative inpatient facility was the “Militia Infirmary” which had been operating since 1945 at the Militia Headquarters on Karowa Street in Warsaw and was managed by Lt. Józef Jampolski, MD. This facility was converted into the second branch of the Central Polyclinic in May 1952.
The first provision of inpatient services is marked by the opening of the KBW Hospital (later MBP) in the middle of 1946, with a surgery and obstetrics-gynecology ward in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at St. Sophia Hospital on Żelazna Street.
The foundations of the Central Clinical Hospital were first laid in June 1947 at the behest of the Head of Health Services of the Ministry of Public Safety, Leon Gangel, MD.
The construction of this 80,000 cubic meter, 500-bed facility took 3 years, but by May 1947 the first rooms for the Central Polyclinic were already ready for use. Completed in 1951, the hospital was the most modern in Poland and one of the leading hospitals of its kind in Europe, offering fully integrated, comprehensive treatment.
The property was built according to the latest European designs adopted in hospital construction. Its first director was Col. Henry Rotter, MD. At the time of the opening, the Central Clinical Hospital had 13 organizational units: 7 wards (surgery, internal medicine, gynecology and obstetrics, neonatal, dermatological, ophthalmic and laryngological) and 3 units: pathological anatomy, x-ray, physical therapy and an analytical laboratory, medical emergency and a pharmacy, as well as two medical commissions.
Time moved on and with it came medical breakthroughs which say the establishment of new units, including trauma and orthopedics, cardiac and surgical, and new specialized units were created in the hospital wards: ECG, endoscopy, encephalography etc.
On the basis of the Central Sanitary and Hygiene Laboratory established in 1947, a Sanitary and Epidemiological Station was established in 1955. A few years later, a Department of Infectious Diseases came into existence. A holiday resort in Wesoła was converted into an 85-bed Rehabilitation Centre. In 1956, the 3rd regional Polyclinic was opened in Żelazna Street. In 1959, 2nd Polyclinic was moved from Karowa Street to Nowy Świat Street. The 4th Polyclinic was opened in 1968.
From 1977 until 1979, two additional hospital wings were constructed. This enabled the creation of two new departments of internal medicine and an extension of neurology, orthopedics, dermatology, ophthalmology, and ICU departments. The diagnostics laboratory and the hospital pharmacy were also moved and the Departments of Rehabilitation and Extracorporeal Dialysis were opened. The Department of Nuclear Medicine was located in the hospital's basement.
The hospital had 635 beds in all at the time.
For all employees there were opportunities to improve their professional skills and acquire specializations and medical degrees. To this end, the establishment of the Scientific Club at the end of 1951 played an important role. Its first president was Professor B. Jochweds, later replace by Professor T. Chrapowicki. The rich scientific legacy of the Scientific Club, as well as the district clubs, contributed to the creation of the quarterly scientific journal "Medical Problems," which has been issued since 1954.
Growing aspirations and the development of the Central Clinical Hospital resulted in the Regulation of the Minister of Interior, dated December 1982, establishing the 12 posts of chief specialists in each branch of medicine, equivalent to national consultants in the public health service. Counted amongst these were 6 members of the Central Clinical Hospital's medical staff. The further development of the Central Clinical Hospital, was the establishment of Institute of Clinical Medicine of the Ministry of the Interior in 1988 under the supervision of Lt. prof. R. J Żochowski, who established a Scientific Council with its first president – Lt. prof. W. Ramotowski.
It should be noted that in the spring of 1990, the Minister of the Interior, General Cz. Kiszczak, ordered the construction of a Roman Catholic chapel in each hospital of the Ministry of the Interior. The Central Clinical Hospital's chapel was opened on 7th August 1990. The first service was celebrated by the Primate of Poland – Cardinal Józef Glemp, who consecrated the chapel.
On the tenth anniversary (4th August 2000) of the establishment of pastoral care at the Central Clinical Hospital, mass was celebrated under the leadership of Cardinal Józef Glemp and the hospital chapel received the title "Divine Mercy."
Fundamental changes occurred when the Central Clinical Hospital became a legal entity on 1st October 1998. The first director of the hospital after receiving this status was Maciej Kisiel, MD, who was replaced by Marek Durlik, MD on 1st December 1998. The transformation of the hospital into an autonomous legal entity allowed for the allocation of funds for its development.
In the first case, the hospital's equipment was upgraded. Modern diagnostic equipment was bought, such as: a latest generation spiral CT scanner, a densitometer, equipment for hemodynamic cardiac monitoring, magnetic resonance, angiography and ESWL.
At the same time, renovation and modernization works began on the premises, which allowed for the establishment of, among other things, an Emergency Department with several beds next to the Admission Room, as well as Daily Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, Rehabilitation and Dermatology Units. The design of many rooms was changed, not only in the hospital but in the polyclinic as well, creating a modern and functional endoscopic and ultrasound unit, a vaccination center and centers for collagen and fungal infections.
A 24-hour emergency service for Warsaw residents was launched in the Interventional Cardiology Department. In the Department of Cardiac Surgery (registered in September 1998 as the third heart transplant center in Poland), post-coronary bypass surgery became an almost routine procedure. The number of operations performed in the Department of Cardiac Surgery increased three-fold, thanks to the most modern Postoperative Intensive Care Unit in the country, which was opened in 2000.
It is worth emphasizing that mid- and high-level medical staff of the Central Clinical Hospital are highly qualified – both in terms of professional and academic skills. The hospital is now a leading medical center, not only in Warsaw but also in Poland. This is confirmed by the ever-increasing number of patients, who want to be treated here. In the 50 years since it was founded, the Central Clinical Hospital has admitted more than 5 million patients.
The hospital is also a medical center providing medical care to members of the government, parliament and diplomats.
- Quality Management System Certificate and the IQNet Quality Management System Certificate No. 999/1/2003, according to standard PN-EN ISO 9001: 2001 awarded by the Polish Centre for Testing and Certification and IQNet in 2003 in the following areas: the implementation of medical services in the Department of Neurology, Department of Conservative Cardiology, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, and the Department of Laboratory Diagnostics.
- Quality Management System Certificate and the IQNet Quality Management System Certificate No. 999/2/2006, according to standard PN-EN ISO 9001: 2001 awarded by the Polish Centre for Testing and Certification and IQNet in 2006 in the following areas: the provision of medical services in the course of inpatient conservative treatment and surgery.
- Quality Management System Certificate and the IQNet Quality Management System Certificate No. 999/3/2006, according to standard PN-EN ISO 9001: 2001 awarded by the Polish Centre for Testing and Certification and IQNet in 2006 in the following areas: provision of inpatient medical services in hospitals in the course of conservative treatment, surgery, diagnostics and rehabilitation.
- Quality Management System Certificate and the IQNet Quality Management System Certificate No. 999/4/2009, according to standard PN-EN ISO 9001: 2001 awarded by the Polish Centre for Testing and Certification and IQNet in 2009 in the following areas: provision of medical services by: prophylaxis, conservative treatment, surgery, diagnosis and rehabilitation; scientific research, health promotion and hospital administration services.
- Quality Management System Certificate and the IQNet Quality Management System Certificate No. 999/5/2010, consistent with standard PN-EN ISO 9001: 2009 awarded by the Polish Centre for Testing and Certification and IQNet in 2010 in the following areas: provision of medical services by: prophylaxis; conservative treatment and surgery; around the clock, day and outpatient care; diagnostics and rehabilitation; scientific research, health promotion and hospital administration services. Validity: 09-11-2010 to 12-08-2012